Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Some brief thoughts on Kuwait City...

Upon arriving in the Middle East I had a layover in Kuwait City. Being the typical American, all I really knew about Kuwait was that Saddam attempted to invade the country in the early 90's. I wasn't there long, but I am able to offer a few observations:

1. A minibar without alcohol is not a minibar...its just a mini refrigerator with lame ass non-alcoholic beer!
2. The country smells like dust and Oil, that's it folks...dust and oil.
3. Lot of men walking around, but very few women. I am not sure of the social implication here (oppressed gender), but it is noticeable.
4. When you think of Kuwait, think Khaki.
5. No OSHA - this place is a huge fine waiting to happen.
6. Transportation Security Administration - Nothing close!
7. Everyone smokes. Seriously, everyone, everywhere....even in an elevator.

Unfortunately, I did not get to get out much, so my impression of the city and country is pretty limited.