Monday, July 7, 2008

Gay Pride, Hungarian Style...

By complete coincidence I stumbled across Budapest's gay pride parade this past weekend. I have been to several city-wide marches in my day as well as the national events in Washington DC, but nothing prepared me for this one.

The night before I met a group of fellow Americans at a local drinking hole and we discussed meeting up and enjoying the celebration the next day. There was some talk about it not being all that welcome here in Budapest but being from the States we were no stranger to a few protesters - we were in for a big surprise.

As you are leafing through the slide show pay close attention the the number of police officers protecting the marchers as well as the number of protesters - for quick reference; all the people you see dressed in non-police attire are protesters.